This is a variation of traditional Corn Bread. Though much fluffier and more moist. Easy to do in a Dutch Oven over charcoal or fire coals. It is served by spooning it out of the Dutch Oven.
- 2 Cups Cornmeal
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sugar Optional but many prefer it
- 4 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3 Egg yolks beaten
- 4 Egg whites beaten until stiff peaks form
- Start coals ahead of time so they are hot about the time you mix everything into a batter. Butter the inside of a 10 or 12 inch Dutch Oven.
- In a sauce pan bring water to a rapid boil. Gradually stir in the corn meal . Continue to stir over low heat until mixture is smooth.
- Add the Butter and salt and sugar (Optional). Stir slowly. Slowly stir in the milk. Remove from heat. Ever so slowly start adding the hot ingredients into the beaten egg yolks while constantly whisking.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Have hot coals ready ahead of time.Pour batter into a buttered Dutch Oven. Bake at 350° about 30 minutes. Do not disturb until the 30 minute mark to check. This puffs up and is done when golden brown and puffy. When checking for done-ness. Be ever so gentle not to bang the pot or lid. This is one Dutch Oven dish you don't want to rotate the pot or lid during the baking. Otherwise your bread will "Fall". This is much lighter and more moist than traditional Corn Bread.
- Serve with a spoon.
4,819 total views, 8 views today