CHICKEN & BROCCOLI PASTA
This is a supper easy and quick meal. Especially useful for using up left over chicken. While we prefer broccoli. Peas, or spinach, could be substituted. This meal can be prepared in 45 minutes or less from start to finish. Add a salad, garlic toast, and a glass of wine. for a full meal with a touch of elegance.
- 1 1/2 Cups Dry Penne Pasta Precook Al Dente in Salted Water & Oil
- Water Pasta water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for pasta water
- 1/2 tsp Salt for pasta water
- 1 Large Precooked Chicken Breast Sliced or roughly cubed
- 12 oz Frozen Broccoli Florets Steamed and Tender
- 1/3 Cup Pasta Water
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tsp Chicken Base Paste [Brand Better than Bouillon]
- 1/4 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Shredded
- Precook the 1 1/2 cups of dry Penne Pasta in an adequate amount of lightly salted water, and 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil. At the same time steam or microwave frozen Broccoli florets until tender. Slice or roughly cube the precooked chicken breast.
- Start oven at 375°F
- On the stove top, In a seasoned and liberally coated (shortening or oil) cast iron skillet, melt the butter. add 2 generous splashes of hot pasta water, and bouillon paste. Whisk until uniform. Do not add any salt. The Bouillon and Pasta water will probably provide all that is needed.
- To the skillet butter bouillon water mix, add the steamed broccoli and sliced precooked chicken. Mix and turn until everything is coated.
- Strain the "al dente" hot cooked pasta. Discard the water. Add the strained cooked pasta to the skillet mixture. Mix and fold over to mix the pasta in.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the skillet mixture.
- Place the uncovered skillet mixture into the 375°F Oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve Hot with a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper if desired. Goes good with a salad and garlic toast.
This could easily be adapted to bake in a Dutch Oven using Charcoal.