BACON BOMB RECIPE
Recipe and Photos submitted by Bruce Tracy. This Dish looks difficult to do but it is very easy. Get all ingredients on the counter before you start. Then all you have to do is reach and add. Many versions of this recipe use seasoned sausage. I don't think that is necessary.
- 1 lb bacon Thick Cut
- 2 lbs Ground Pork
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 Sweet Green Pepper diced
- 1 bottle BBQ Sauce
- You will need a Dutch Oven, a Trivet, Foil or Parchment paper, and a cooling rack.
- Cut four pieces of bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry to your preference. Set aside to drain. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on your counter and place the ground pork in the middle. Spread with your hands until you have about a 10 by 10 inch square about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread the cream cheese over half of the pork and add the bacon bits, onions and bell peppers. Gently roll it up from the cream cheese side. Set aside.
- Make a 5 by 5 lattice with 10 pieces bacon. Googling bacon lattice will give you several “you tube” videos, it’s way easier than you might think. Place the pork roll with the seam toward you on the edge of the lattice closest to you. Roll it on the bacon, picking up the lattice as you go. Remember where the seam ends up.
- Place cooling rack on a cookie sheet or inside a Dutch Oven. Place a piece of parchment paper on it. Place the bacon encased pork roll on the paper, seam side down. Brush liberally with BBQ sauce.
- Roast for about 75-90 minutes at 425 degrees. Check with a meat thermometer at 75 minutes.
- When it reaches 155 brush one more time with bbq sauce and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
- When it’s done let it sit for 15-20 minutes so it can set up.